Jakarta Globe is reporting on the Indonesian government’s plans to introduce a digital ID system equivalent to a physical identity card, incorporating essential attributes like the unique personal identification number (NIK), name, date of birth, gender, and address.
The dedicated application for the digital ID is now available on both the Play Store and App Store, say Jakarta Globe, however, activation will still require a visit to the Citizenship and Civil Registration (Dukcapil) office.
The Dukcapil office will conduct a stringent verification and validation process utilizing face recognition technology, say Jakarta Globe.
Applicants are required to possess an active cellphone number and email address for the activation of their digital ID.
Jakarta Globe suggests these are the steps to activate your digital ID:
- Download the app “Identitas Kependudukan Digital” from the Play Store or App Store.
- Complete the form by providing your personal identification number (NIK), email address, and cellphone number.
- Utilize the app to capture a facial photo for the face recognition procedure.
- Scan the QR Code issued by the Dukcapil office.
- Check your email to access the activation link.
- Input the activation and captcha codes to finalize the process.
Source: Jakarta Globe